Next in our ‘Spirit of The Month’ series we move onto Vodka, our versatile, trusty and reliable friend. If you didn’t have a regretful night drinking vodka in your younger years, were you even a teenager?
Like us, Vodka has grown up and matured to become a sophisticated choice in the world of spirits and allows the ingredients it’ mixes with in cocktails to really shine through.
Below we share 6 cool Vodka facts and our ultimately refreshing summer vodka cocktail of choice!
- Vodka is one of the purest drinks in the world! Due the fact it’s distilled from water ethanol and fermented potatoes or grains, plus its also carbon filtered.
- A litre of Vodka weighs only 953g, and not 1kg as many would assume!
- Contrary to popular belief, Vodka does go bad if stored for long periods of time and is best consumed within 12 months. So, drink up!
- Apart from getting you drunk, vodka has other useful purposes! You can use it to disinfect your razor and it stops rust appearing. While you’re there, you can also use it to clean your bathroom being useful in removing mould and mildew
- According to some sources, Vodka was used to make gun powder in Sweden in the 15th century. Maybe that explains why it sometimes makes people explosive?!
- While clear vodka is very popular, it also has one of the most popular ranges of flavours compared to other spririts, such as cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, varying fruits etc etc (source Mens XP website)
Now onto our favourite Summer cocktail, the captivating Caprioska. It’s an exotic balance of sweet and sour and is simply made with vodka, sugar syrup and fresh lime juice. It’s easy to make and even more enjoyable to drink. Enjoy!
30ml Sugar Syrup
1 ½ Lime Juice
Muddle lime and sugar syrup in glass and top with vodka, can add 15ml Chambord and strawberries if wanted fruity.