For the month of July, we will be focusing on all things Bourbon, the great American Whisky! Did you know that Bourbon is a barrel aged spirit made primarily from corn? The name of the spirit derives from its historical association with an area known as Old Bourbon, around what is now Bourbon County Kentucky.
Bourbon also tastes epic in cocktails and pairs perfectly with flavours such as ginger, citrus, honey and just about anything! The Old Fashioned is arguably the king of bourbon cocktails, and some of our other favourites are the Whisky/Bourbon Sour and Mint Julep. Throughout the month we will share some classic bourbon cocktail recipes with you!
Here are some other cool facts on Bourbon;
- Kentucky, the birthplace of bourbon, produces 95% of the worlds supply
- Bourbon sales are booming, baby. Last year it was recorded they grew by 7.7%, as a younger generations tastes are developing
- Bourbon is Americas only native spirit, as declared by Congress in 1964. It must be made of 51% corn, aged in new oak barrels and bottle no less than 80 proof
- The seasons help add flavour during the barrelling process. The barrel shrinks in Winter and expands in Summer causing the liquid to travel in and out of the wood.
- Bourbon barrels can only be used once
- “White Dog” is un-aged bourbon
- Bourbon is great for the American economy! It’s an $8.5 billion industry and generates 17,500 jobs in Kentucky.
- There are more bourbon barrels in Kentucky then there are people
- Like all good spirits, it has medicinal purposes. During World War II, many distilleries were converted to produce penicillin, which is also a product of fermentation that will cure what ails you.